Travel with us on the Northern and Southern Old Silk Road.
Besides this adventurous overland journey along the ancient Old Silk Road, we will also visit Beijing and cross the Tibetan Plateau, we will reach Lhasa and Mount Everest Base Camp. Over the Pamir Highway we follow the legendary route of the once so important trade route between Europe and Asia, ending in Turkey.
Travel with us on the Northern and Southern Old Silk Road.
Overland journey with your own motorhome or expedition vehicle over the Northern Old Silk Road to China and Tibet, back to Europe over the Southern Old Silk Road!
Make a journey with your own camper or overland vehicle through the countries of the former Soviet Union along the Old Silk Road in the footsteps of Marco Polo. Over a pass of almost 3800m you will enter China and after that you will arrive in Beijing, a city with more inhabitants than the total population in the Netherlands. Here we not only visit the Great Wall, but also the famous Terracotta Army and of course the endangered Giant Panda Bear.
We continue following the ancient Old Silk Road and travel to Tibet, over the high mountain passes of the Himalayas, where we in Lhasa will visit the Potala Palace, the Jokhang Temple and the Summer Palace of the Dalai Lama. We travel through the countries of Central Asia, like Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan to Iran. Eventually the journey ends in Turkey and we are back at the doorsteps to Europe!
THE JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME!
Discover Asia is an ‘Individually Guided Adventurous Overland Journey’©, which you can make with your own camper or overland expedition vehicle with the highlight traversing China and Tibet. With a dozen borders to cross, a distance of about 35.000km and the length of nearly a half year, is this the most adventurous guided overland journey, where you will drive with your own motorhome through Tibet!
It will certainly be an adventurous and unforgettable journey with many beautiful and unusual encounters and impressions. We will travel as true pioneers on unfamiliar roads and often far from the beaten tourist tracks, along destinations unknown by the general public. Experiences and discoveries of the developers of this journey make it possible to visit and experience these special places and to encounter the different cultures.
Through this journey, we want to introduce you to the wealth of nations and cultures of the countries we travel through. You will get in contact with many ethnic and nomadic groups, with each their own way of life. These people are very friendly, welcoming, and curious and look forward to meet you, as well in rural and urban areas. In these countries, in many areas we travel through, there is mostly little to none tourism. As a result of that, the population still responds spontaneously and is really looking forward to our arrival as visitors.
• An ‘Individual Guided Adventurous Overland Journey’© from approm. 24 weeks
• The Northern and Southern old Silk Road
• 45 days in China
• Wander over the Great Wall
• Over the Tibetan Plateau
• Driving over 6 passes above 5000m
• Almost 4 weeks in Tibet
• Visit ‘the Potala Palace’, ‘the Jokhang Temple’ and the Summer Palace of the Dalai Lama
• Overnight at Mount Everest Base Camp
• Drive the ‘Pamir Highway”in Tajikistan
• Through the Karakum desert to Ashgabat
• 3 weeks through Iran
• Along Mount Ararat
This journey is guided by a professional team of highly experienced overland travellers and various local guides. This international team has been carefully selected to make this journey together with you to an unforgettable adventure.
Price & traveldates
• Per person: € 12.995- based on travelling with 2 persons per vehicle
• Solo traveller: € 19.995,-
• Traveldates: 12 April to 28 September 2019
• Amount of days: ca. 170
• Starting location: Vilnius, Lithuania
• End location: Göreme, Turkey
• Amount of kilometers ca. 35.000 km
• Suitable for motorhome | travel vehicle | 4×4 travel vehicle
• Amount of particiants: minimum 6 – maximum 12 vehicles
Inclusive & Exclusive
• Competent and professional journey guidance
• ‘Individual Guided Adventurous Overland Journey’© of 170 days
• Back up and support by local guides and interpreters in several countries
• Roadmaps of all the countries in this journey
• Maps for Garmin navigation device of the countries we travel through, provided with the tracks
• Road book with GPS coordinates of the sightseeings and overnight locations
• All necessary authorizations and permits for the journey through China incl. a temporary Chinese driving license for 1 driver, temporary registration of the vehicle, accompanying guide for the whole trip through China (mandatory according the Chinese law) English speaking, LOI (Letter of Invitation) for the application of the Chinese visa, back-up and support from Beijing, take-over of the total custom guarantee for the import and export of the vehicle in China
• All necessary authorizations and permits for the journey through Tibet
• Overnight locations, excursions, entrance tickets and meals according the programme
• Consultancy and advice on the equipment of the vehicle
• Reccomandations and advice for the travel pharmacy
• Advice regarding the most necessary spare parts and tools for the vehicle
• Check-up of the vehicle
• Information and meetingday participants 4 months before departure
• Assistance at all applications of the visa
• Intensive guidance with the preparing of the journey
• Fuel and toll costs
• Costs for taking an extra vehicle (quad, motorcycle, scooter etc.) For China there will be a surcharge on the travelsum
• Parking- and ferrycosts and other costs related to the vehicle
• Visa costs and all related costs and fees, regarding the applications
• Walkie-talkies, CB-radio, 2 meter band-radio
• Personal expenditures and tips, entrance tickets, excursions and meals outside the programme
• Optional hotel accommodations during the journey
• Registration costs for the obligatory registration in Russia and CIS countries
• 2e Passport and head pictures
• Insurance of the vehicle and insurance card for the concerned countries, explicitly also for the countries not listed on the insurance card; mandatory
• Carnet de passage (ADAC) for Iran
• Liability insurance relating the vehicle, in some countries it is mandatory to buy one at the border
• Cancellation insurance
• Spare parts for the vehicle, tools and any possible tools like towing cables etc.
• Tips for guides, these are going to be collected at the beginning of the journey
• Border costs, will be cashed at the start of the journey
• Costs for the journey to the starting location and back from the end destination of the journey to home or any place
• Simcards for mobile phone | internet
• Navigation device
• Travelinsurance with worldcoverage incl. repatriation, medical insurance and cancellation insurance are mandatory
• Travel guidance: Nancy Verheijen and Hans Schrijen | Developers of this journey
• Travel guidance has an First Aid and AED certificate
• AED present
• Satellite phone present
• Participant is in sufficient physical and mental health condition to be able to participate on the journey “Discover Asia”
• The vehicle of the participant is in excellent technical condition
• International participants
• No driving in convoy, unless obliged by (local) authorities
•Participants takes part in traffic with his/her own vehicle entirely at his/her own risk
The registration has started! If you wish to receive more detailed and extensive information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
You travel the entire journey with your own vehicle and at their own risk and peril.
Expedition Far East cannot be held liable for the selected and actual route taken, the state of roads, pistes and the driving conditions and driving skills of each individual participant.
AN EXPLANATION OF THIS JOURNEY
A journey over the northern and southern ancient Old Silk Road through the countries of the former Soviet Union, China, Iran and Turkey is not an all day journey you ‘just simply’ make. It is a long journey of nearly a half year, which requires a thorough preparation from both of us, as well the organisation, as you as a participant.
The main goal of this journey is not to enjoy a relaxing holiday, but to get to know and experience the wealth and treasures of the nations and cultures of the countries where we will travel through. We are above all travellers. You will get in contact with many different ethnic and nomadic groups, who each have their own way of life. These local people are very friendly, welcoming and curious about you, as well in rural as urban areas.
In the countries we will visit and the areas, where we will be travelling through there is little to none tourism, so that the local people respond spontaneously to the arrival of us as visitors.
You drive this journey with your own vehicle at your own risk.
To make this motorhome journey not only to a beautiful adventure, but also organizational to a good result, we use during this journey the guidance of a good and knowledgeable team of highly experienced overland travellers. The guidance will be assisted by local guides and interpreters where necessary and they will possibly travel along with us for a part of the journey.
This journey is organised by Expedition Far East. The terms and conditions of Expedition Fare East are valid.
OUR WAY OF TRAVELLING
Our Individual Guided Adventurous Overland Journeys© goes through countries with very different customs and habits then we are used to. Not often there can be fulfilled to our Western European expectations and standards and there is usually not a luxury campsite available in these countries. Therefore a journey like this demands a flexible altitude of the participants, a good physical and mental condition and health. As well the vehicles have to be in excellent condition.
INDIVIDUALLY AND ALSO GUIDED?
You drive at your own speed and pace. You will receive the Expedition Far East Road-book© with detailed information and the necessary information on attractions and sights and the GPS coordinates to be able to arrive at the next overnight location. We don’t drive convoy, unless absolutely necessary or when it is obliged by the local governments. You can leave in the morning, whenever it is the most convenient for you and stop as often as you like, to have as much individual freedom as possible. Plenty of time to fully enjoy and in the evening you don’t need extra time to search a safe overnight spot, very relaxing!
BENEFITS OF A GROUP JOURNEY
An ‘Individual Guided Adventurous Overland Journey©’ of Expedition Far East has many advantages. One of the most important ones is that we only travel in small groups; maximum up to 12 vehicles. Further advantages are; always a back-up from fellow travellers and the journey guidance, the sense of security far away from home, supported by experienced guidance, difficult border crossings we always take as a group together and when necessary, with the help of local guides, a safe overnight place and from special value, cosy spontaneous evenings together, to share our experiences and adventures.
ROUTE AND DAYSCHEDULE
The route and itinerary are designed with the maximum possible interesting touristic highlights and sites are included on our route. Many are included in the program, others are optional. Of course, we also did take into account the overnight places and we have done our best effort to stay at the most beautiful places and locations. The daily distances range from 75 to 400km per day and are so divided that we have enough time to visit the sights and attractions, to take a break, to do some shopping and to relax. Obviously there are many non driving days, so you will be able to organise your own day. You will receive a road book with the day schedule and lots of tips and information, interesting sights and the overnight location related information and the required GPS coordinates.
This journey can be made with an average camper. It is not necessary to have a 4WD, but of course may be very useful, if you have one. However, you must realise that a journey like this is also very heavy for the vehicle. Campers with an overhang at the back of more than 3,5 meters, behind the rear axle, cannot participate in this journey. Strong suspensions and very good shock absorbers are a must!
Most of the countries which we travel through are both politically and economically rather stable. The crime rate has dropped and the purchasing power of the people is fortunately rising almost everywhere. With our campers we are at no greater risk as when we are travelling through European countries. We travel through 11 countries and we keep informed during our journey about the security situations in the areas we are going to travel through.
Most of the roads on our route are asphalted. Only less than 10% of this journey we drive over unpaved roads. Parts of this are sometimes in very bad or poor condition! Often the roads are to be compared with the roads in Europe, sometimes even better. But the asphalt in these countries has often suffered heavily from the high temperatures in the summer and the extreme winter conditions. Large potholes in the roads will not be strange. In the big cities the roads are often crowded and it is just as back home in the traffic jams! In Tibet a few roads lead us over the passes, which lie above 5000m.
We will barely overnight at campsites at this journey, because in the areas we cross, there are none. We will stay at safe overnight places. As far as possible this will be wild camps in free nature and if not possible at hotels, churches, sport complexes or just a parking spot or something similar. Therefore it is necessary that you can be self-supporting for a few days concerning food, bathroom, shower and electricity.